GENERAL POSITION DESCRIPTION
The assistant will directly support the implementation of the Preschool program. The main purpose of the position is to implement psychosocial and recreational activities for refugee children in order to create a safe and protective environment in Ritsona camp.
He/she is responsible for overseeing the care of the children during her/his sessions, while facilitating activities she/he runs with a child-friendly approach; ensuring that the children are free from any form of stress while feeling safe and secure is the main duty of the assistant.
He/She will be trained in specific methods of psychosocial activities and raise awareness around child-protection issues.
Implement recreational and psychosocial activities:
- Plan and prepare activities under the supervision of the teacher, based on children’s needs while adapting to their culture
- Participate in the design of new psychosocial activities for vulnerable children
- Use participatory approach
- Involve parents in activities
- Take daily attendance of participants
- Ensure a safe and friendly atmosphere at all times during activities
- Promote inclusion and equal access to every child
- Identify and report any child protection issues to his/her manager
- Maintain strict confidentiality regarding information of beneficiaries
- Past experience as animator/facilitator and/or technical experience in running activities for children (asset)
- Acknowledges and respects gender, cultural, ethical, social, and religious constraints
- Demonstrates an understanding and desire of working with children in a particularly vulnerable environment
- Interest in working with migrant and refugee children
- Good written communication skills
- Team player mentality and creative problem-solver
- Capacity to work in fast-paced and emotionally-intense contexts
- Good command of the English language
- Basic IT knowledge (asset)
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic about the work required
- Police/Background Check is also required for this position
- Must be over 24 years old
- University degree in Education/Social Work/Psychology (asset)
- Language skills in Arabic and/or Kurdish (asset)
- Technical experience in a humanitarian aid context (asset)
- Knowledge of Child Safeguarding Policies and Child Protection Minimum Standards (asset)
Autonomous, dynamic, empathetic, thorough, organized self-starter with solid interpersonal skills.
The work is voluntary and the ideal candidate will be available for at least two or three months ideally. You will not receive any economic compensation and volunteers are expected to pay for their own flights and meals during their stay. I AM YOU sponsors volunteers with shared transport on location and special rates for accommodation.