The Communications Volunteer will help create powerful and engaging communications materials to deliver to key audiences. This role includes maintaining and updating I AM YOU’s various communications platforms (including the website and social media), working closely with other members of the team to generate content, ensuring it is as useful, engaging and accessible as possible. The incumbent will also assist with the creation and delivery of marketing and promotional materials to raise awareness of the organization and engage audiences.
Finally, the Communications Volunteer will have an opportunity to bring new and fresh ideas on how to communicate dynamically and creatively, building on I AM YOU’s Communications Strategy and striving to improve our messages to different audiences.
Accountability and Relationship:
- Reports to the Operations Coordinator
- Works closely with Field Coordinator, Volunteer Coordinator, and Volunteers
- Assists in implementing and further developing Communication Strategy
- Identifies and develops appropriate social media campaigns
- Creates diverse range of information communications products in support of I AM YOU initiatives
- Produces and manages content for website and social media platforms
- Assists in preparing articles, blogs and events materials
- Supports the management and development of I AM YOU’s social media presence
- Assists in production of reports (including presentations) on an ad hoc basis
- Assists in data verification, on all reports and information products prepared by the organization
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of the organization
Skills and experience:
- Fluent English (essential) and Greek (asset), Arabic (asset)
- Strong understanding of communications and social media, with minimum 2 years past experience in this field (essential)
- Strong photography, video, and editing skills (essential)
- Experience writing blog (desirable)
- University degree in Communications or related field (asset)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (essential)
- Self-motivated, outgoing, friendly and persuasive (essential)
- Demonstrated interest in working with refugee and displaced populations (essential)
- Comfortable meeting new people, acknowledging and respecting gender, cultural, ethical, social and religious sensitivities (essential)
- Work collaboratively and be a team player (essential)
- Able to work effectively cross-culturally (essential)
- Capacity to work in fast-paced and emotionally-intense contexts (essential)
- Experience managing relationships with stakeholders/clients (desirable)
- Experience with Squarespace and design tools such as Photoshop and InDesign (desirable)
The successful candidate should be autonomous, dynamic, empathetic, thorough, an organized self-starter with solid interpersonal skills.
The work is voluntary and the ideal candidate will be available for two months minimum. You will not receive any economic compensation and volunteers are expected to pay for their own flights and meals during their stay. I AM YOU sponsors volunteers with shared transport on location and special rates for accommodation.